Blog Post Submission Criteria
Here at Status:Melanated we like to hear from our community! We want people to be to share their stories and insight on how to influence the majority as a minority.
- Length of post: Between 500 and 800 words is ideal. Up to 1200 words if needed.
- Actionable tips: In addition to personal stories that share new insights, we are most likely to feature articles of people from the community based on the questions we ask. We also highly suggest keeping the language PG. Keep cursing to a minimum”
- Share Your Voice: Especially for personal stories, express your ideas as you would to a good friend, including your struggles and inspirations along the way. If you have discovered a new perspective, we want to know.
- Coming up with a title: Think of what would grab the reader and make her/him curious. Let them know about a problem you are solving, a way to improve their life, or something new that you have discovered.
- Tips for Tips: If you are writing a post with tips/advice, include an introductory paragraph explaining how you connect to the topic (are you an expert or has life made you one?) and why you want to share this. Make your tips easy to understand and to put into action!
- First Paragraph: Your first sentence should make the reader want to know more. A strong first paragraph gives a clear and engaging idea of what the post will talk about, or what the reader will learn.
- Make your point: If a few words can get to the heart of what you’re conveying, then you don’t need more. One detailed example is also often better than a long list of them.
- Make It Accessible: Use accessible language that even readers new to your topic can understand. Our editors will help modify content, title and pictures if needed.
- Backing it Up: When you mention a statistic or a research study, (even “research states”) please add a link to that source. These sources can range from news outlets to academic journals etc. This allows readers to learn more if they want to get deeper into the topic. Please do not use hyperlinks, instead put all your links in brackets: [http://facebook.com/StatusMelanated].
BE SURE TO SUBMIT TO STATUSMELANATED@GMAIL.COM!